Earthquake in a Bottle

30 Minus 2 Days of Writing Challenge
Day 5: The Empty Bottle

EQ-ZinSomebody poured me some wine a couple weeks ago and I really liked it. The problem is, unless this happens at the winery itself, I can NEVER FIND IT ANYWHERE.

This is why the Michael David Winery in Lodi is now my new best friend. Because they made sure if anybody ever gets a swig of their wine underneath some random bridge from a polite white-gloved troll, they would be able to easily find it at their local grocery store later.

Enter Earthquake Zinfandel. Now, I’m no wine expert, so when I initially reacted so positively to it, I figured it was my unsophisticated palette screaming, “Yee-haw! That’s some rootin’ tootin’ hooch!”

But when I later saw the price tag, I realized it was my pale blue box Tiffany’s palette commenting in a British accent (or more like a yuppy Yale graduate), “Oh, I say, old chap, the bouquet on this varietal really brings out the tannins.” Or something like that.

So when I recently had some friends over, I asked them all to try it and wanted them to be honest because I assume everyone is better than me at this sort of thing and was it cough syrup or was it a really good wine and they all said it was good. But of course they did. I was shoving it in their faces and wearing my hopefulness on my sleeve. What else were they going to say? They were guests in my house and you don’t slam the hostess’ choice of rotgut when she has been kind enough to bring you into her home.

So now I’ll never know if this stuff is any good.

###

exes in my ipodHey, speaking of wine and trolls (and by trolls I mean ex-boyfriends), I had the pleasure of reading an ebook recently that was little different. It’s about a girl who grows up in the sticks and ends up in the high-end wine industry while experiencing various boyfriends and the music each guy conjures up. Each chapter links to a song that you can play on your mobile device right then and there to accompany the chapter. Kind of a cool concept I’ve never seen before. Anyway, the book is called The Exes in My iPod by Lisa Mattson and it’s available for Apple and Kindle devices as well as paperback.

###

This post is part of The 30 Minus 2 Day Writing Challenge and is hosted by We Work for Cheese.

1. P.J. says:

“Yee-haw! That’s some rootin’ tootin’ hooch!”

Line of the challenge, of things I’ve read, so far. :)

As for that book — Jodi Piccoult has one like that. It came out a few years ago. Definitely cool.

1. Margaret says:

Aw, thanks! Wait, that was a compliment, right? ;)

2. Linda says:

I’ve heard it’s good. I may have even had it at a tasting. I know that Michael David has a reputation for good wines. One of my favorites Zins is Seven Deadly Zins, which is also a Michael David wine at a reasonable price.

3. If only I had the pale blue Tiffany’s box bank account to go with the palette. *sigh* Guess I’m stuck with the actual rootin’ tootin’ hooch!

4. Cheryl P. says:

Does your pale blue Tiffany box palette, act all high and mighty around your “rootin tootin hootch palette? Or is your unsophisticated palette charmed by British accents?

1. Margaret says:

LOL! Yes, my unsophisticated palette is a bit of an anglophile, truth be known.

5. KZ says:

Why are those sophisticated Brit-types always speaking to some rhetorical “chap” who is supposedly standing in the same room? I’ve always wondered about this.

I jumped a little when I read “Lodi”. Then I clicked around and found out you’re from Sacramento. Greetings from the South Bay. :)

Hellooooo, South Bay!

6. “I figured it was my unsophisticated palette screaming, “Yee-haw! That’s some rootin’ tootin’ hooch!” —- You seriously CRACK ME UP!

And that book sounds pretty cool!

Thanks, sweetie!

1. this is something great blog for reading.

7. Amador County wineries are just a hop and a skip away from Lodi. Well worth a weekend visit ~

1. Margaret says:

I know! I’m hoping to visit Renwood Winery soon. That’s Amador, isn’t it? Does Plymouth count as Amador?

1. Yep, that’s in Amador County. You should put Sobon on your list too ~

8. Katherine says:

Made me think of chocolate wine… I heard people talking about it a week before Christmas. A woman said it was gross but that her neighbor loved it. Then someone actually gave me a bottle after Christmas… I was afraid to open it. I mean… wine and CHOCOLATE? It actually was pretty darn good!

You had me at rootin’ tootin’ hooch.

Also, I love that idea for the book. I’ll have to check it out.

10. Tamara says:

Yes it’s good. Total Wine only has three left @$19.99 a bottle. Hurry Hurry.

1. Margaret says:

Yay! Someone else in my camp! I saw it at Raley’s, but it was more than $19.99. Time to sneak over to Total Wine!

11. Alex and I drink this all the time. Very nice Zin. If you find some, try “The Prisoner” too. Exquisite!

1. Margaret says:

Note to self: Get yourself The Prisoner. Thanks, Linda!

12. Terra says:

Oh that would be nice of a polite troll under a bridge to hand me a glass of that wine. I trust you, I am sure it is delicious.

1. Margaret says:

It really is, Terra. And I’m glad I’ve got an extra one just waiting. :)

13. Dang. That stuff will rock your world!

Hee hee. It’s almost wine time here. Burp!

1. Margaret says:

If you ever see it anywhere, I’m telling you, grab a bottle. :)

14. Malisa says:

I’m not too proud to drink wine from a box. You in? :)

1. Margaret says:

Just give me a glass! Or hell, even a red solo cup’ll do.

15. nonamedufus says:

I think you and I have the same approach to wine. And I thought I was the only one who liked root in tooting hooch.

1. Margaret says:

As opposed to Tooty Fruity Hooch, which is also good.

16. I don’t drink wine. I do however, whine.

1. Margaret says:

I’m trying to figure out how to whine like a goat, but bwaa-aaa-aaaa looks more like maniacal laughter.