Did I Ever Tell You About the Time I Met Gary Carter?

It was November of 2000 in New York City. We volunteered at some Keith Hernandez benefit thing. My job was to walk around with a clipboard and collect payment information from the auction winners.

So some guy wins a Dinner For Two or whatever and I walk over and get his name and credit card info and walk back in line with the other volunteers waiting with their clipboards.

The girl next to me leans over and says, “You know who that was?”

“Who?” I say.

“That guy you just helped. That’s John McEnroe. Isn’t that John McEnroe?”

She leans toward someone else and asks her if it was John McEnroe. Then she leans back toward me.

“That must be John McEnroe. How did you not know that was John McEnroe?”

“I don’t know.”

“Check your papers.”

I checked my papers.

Well, would you look at that. John McEnroe. Right there on the paper. His signature and everything. Huh.

“Yeah,” I say, “I guess that was him.”

“You idiot. How could you not know?”

“I don’t know – I wasn’t paying attention. I was just getting his information.”

“Like his name, you mean?”

“Right.”

I was an idiot. Although in my defense, it wasn’t like I asked him what his name was and he said John McEnroe and I just wrote it down and walked away. I handed him the clipboard and made him fill it out himself and then didn’t look at the name.

In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t recognize him because it served him right when I later asked for his autograph and he rejected me. Even though he had just finished giving someone else his autograph. Like ten someone elses. He pretended he had to leave and had no more time for people. So the only way I could get back at him was to not recognize him in the first place, of course.

Anyway when it was all over, a group of us walked to a nearby bar for a drink and somebody in the group told us that two famous baseball players were going with us. They told us their names and that they were awesome and a bunch of other sports-related statistic impressiveness.

I had no idea who they were.

gary carter, gary carter photo

Me, Gary Carter and my friend, Meg.

But we drank and hung out with them and posed with World Series rings and I knew that I had to take pictures because … well, because they were famous and somebody would be impressed even if it wasn’t me.

bobby ojeda, world series, world series ring

Bobby Ojeda and me and his World Series ring. (Nov 2000)

===

I bring this story up because Hall of Famer Gary Carter died yesterday, February 16 at the age of 57.

Here’s an article from ESPN.

1. Shawn says:

I went to a sports camp as a kid and Gary Carter was a featured guest one day. He signed autographs and talked baseball. Living in Montreal got to see him play right up until he was traded to the Mets in 84.

1.  That’s awesome that you have such great memories of him.

2. Ginger says:

I don’t know who they are but you totally rocked dem pictures Meg!

3. TOTALLY SUPER AWESOME! And you are so freaking cute in these photos!

1.  Awww, thanks Meleah!  #lateresponses

4. Shana says:

You look adorable!   But I have no idea who Gary Carter is, but he’s hot.

5. Nora Blithe says:

Who?  Just kidding.  Sort of…  No, seriously, I’m kidding.  I agree with Kathy.  Your ring is cool!

1.  Wait, you guys are kidding, right? That’s HIS ring I’m wearing. His WORLD SERIES ring.

1. Nora Blithe says:

No kidding!?  Whoops!  I guess I’ve never seen a World Series ring.  Well, I’m certain of one thing.  You wear it better!  :)

6. Slommler says:

Oh how sad…so young. Great pics by the way
    Hugs  SueAnn

7. OH Wow.  VERY cool you got those pix!  Sad sad story.

8. Great story and a great tribute to Gary Carter.
    PooPoo on John McEnroe, he’s a nasty man and doesn’t deserve to know you, your too good for him! =) <3
    BTW, I don't know who either of those ball players are either.

9. lorraine kennedy says:

Thirty years in Manhattan, mostly working in nightlife-land, with a PERFECT score of Failure-To-Recognize-Celebrities,
    and this is the very nicest  John McEnroe Story I have ever heard ! ! !

You look adorable!   But I have no idea who Gary Carter is.

11. The only name I recognize is John McEnroe. And yeah, he’s an ass.

I must admit, I see that picture of you with him and I’m totally jealous. Gary Carter got to meet MARGARET ANDREWS!! Lucky guy. What a hottie you are!

Ah-hem. You know a Famous SpokesGoat. What more do you need? You can come pose for photos with me.

14. Terra says:

Tis fun to meet the occasional celebrity, isn’t it?
    I am having a give away on my blog today.

OOps…by the way….you look marvelous in the pics girl!!! :o)

Most famous person I’ve ever posed with was Pinky Lee, back in the fifties.  He drew me a picture, gave me a kiss on the cheek and a Pinky Lee hat for my head.  I was star struck!!!!  Hehehehehhee!!!

I thinks it’s a hoot that you didn’t recognize McEnroe, bet that did loads for his inflated ego.  No wonder he didn’t have time for an autograph….he was miffed that you weren’t all googly over him to begin with.  ‘Just sayin’…..

Have a wonderful weekend sweetie!!! :o)

17. Erin says:

Keith Hernandez, Dahling. Keith. And, I have to name-drop Dwight Gooden, too. Nice handshake, whoever he is.

1.  Keith! Ack! See? I still don’t know who these people are. Sheesh. OK, I fixed it. So who the hell is Ricky Hernandez? And you’d think because of Seinfeld, AT LEAST I’d get Keith’s name right. Argh!

18. I love how you don’t know any of these people. I wouldn’t know McEnroe either if he sat on me. You look adorable in all those pics, and btw, your ring is nicer than what’s his name’s in the last shot.

1.  LOL @ Kathy’s comment! Ahahhahahahah

19. Anonymous says:

of coruse I’ve never herd of Gary Carter or Bobby Ojeda… but I’ll just bet they wouldn’t know who Martha Graham was