Do You Call It Soda or Pop?

soda vs pop nypl

Actually, here in California, we call it “poison”. Because we are very health conscious and do not drink such tripe juice. Am I right, my Cali-peoples?

Another scientifically proven fact is that we are all very skinny and very blond and we call each other “Dude” all the time, even us middle-aged women. Dude. And we all live by the beach and surf every day and we are all personal close friends with David Hasselhoff (well, before the drunk burger video) and Pamela Anderson.

But never you mind about our perfectly tanned bodies and tight abs. That’s not why I brought you here. I called this meeting in order to introduce the controversy that is “soda” vs “pop”.

I was such an anal-retentive kid, I didn’t call it either one. Why? Because it wasn’t specific enough. I was too literal-minded to use such a vague reference. You can’t ask someone if they want a soda or a pop. That could mean anything. And then you’d wind up having to ask a follow-up question of what kind of soda or pop they wanted. So what is the point of the first question?

For example, I would say, “Do you want a Diet Chocolate Coke?” or “Do you want a Wild Bear Pee?” because if you just refer to it as “soda” and then you find out your friend doesn’t like Wild Bear Pee, but not until AFTER you’ve already opened the bottle… such a waste, right? And if there’s anything we Californians can’t stand it’s wasting stuff.

Oops – I digressed again, because I meant to ask you whether you called it soda or pop and where you’re from so I can make fun of your stomping grounds and how you were raised all wrong because of the terms you were born and bred to use.

frilly pink panties

And now I’d like to welcome back my bazillion fans via Google Reader and blog rolls because I lost you for a while there and now I’m hearing that I may have gotten you back. Sorry about that. It was a feed thing. And a switch to Word Press thing. I know. I’m totally going to sue them.

(Photo Source: NYPL Digital Gallery)

1. Bob Hayles says:

Hmmm…I didn't know there was a breed of goats that gave Bear Pee…

2. Jb says:

Yes, I would like a diet Chocolate coke, please. But skip the diet part. Why do that to chocolate, ya know what I mean?
    I moved around quite a bit when I was a kid, so my multi-cultural ;) viewpoint…use them both as one word…sodapop. Got it? Very PC, don't you think? Of course, now that you've introduced the phrase “tripe juice” to me, that's probably going to be the winner. Is there a place for a write-in vote?

1. Jb – Consider your “tripe juice” vote written in. (although….blech)

3. puglette says:

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. When yery young, I was of the “it's all coke” persuasion. I was taken to task by my older brother for this error. He explained in no uncertain terms that by saying “coke” I was requesting Coca Cola. Since my father bought RC Cola, I should ask for a cola, not a coke. If I was to ask for anything else, I should ask for a soda. Never a pop, that was a term used only to describe someone's father.

So now I call everything a soda unless I am specific in what I want.

As for subs, grinders, and hoagies…they are all sandwiches to me. Even subway calls them sandwiches, they are Subway sandwiches. I was really confused when I heard the term “grinders” used as a sandwich reference for the first time. I thought that was really silly. What do they grind??
    hugs,
    puglette
    :o)

1. Puglette – we could have grown up in the same house. They ARE all
      sandwiches, aren't they.

4. I'm a New Jerseyan transplanted in New England…I was quickly informed by my New England neighbors that I had been incorrectly pronouncing and calling things by their wrong names my whole life.
    Cahfee not Cawfee
    Scollops not scaallops
    Tonic not Soda
    Grinders not Subs ( so why is Subway not “Grinderway” )
    Candlepin not “Big ball bowling” ( if you were to refer to bowling as big ball in NJ you would be viciously mocked )
    and Oh dear God, Please! Don't ever confuse a milkshake for a frappe..I silenced an entire room and heard a gasp when I did that…

Rene

1. Big ball bowling? Is there small ball bowling? Candlepin? Is this all the same thing as regular old bowling, like in a bowling alley? Or are we talking about something completely different?

Boy, aren't I full of questions.

5. Marc Seyon says:

Down here on the southern toe of the Caribbean it's “sweet drink”. Pronounced as a single, mashed together word, as us Caribbeaners are wont to do. With an always-silent T and a W that often falls by the wayside too.

Asking for either “soda” or “pop” will get you promptly branded as (a) the foreigner or (b) the wannabe foreigner.

And one final Brand-specific note – it's a Cokes, not a Coke. And any black sweet drink is… a Cokes.

1. Ahhhh, the Caribbean. And do you say CARE-uh-BEE-in? Or cuh-RIB-bee-in?

1. Marc Seyon says:

Approximately the latter. :) Last syllable more un than in.

6. Dagin says:

I grew up saying soda (NJ), then spent 2 years in the UK where you need to ask for a fizzy drink! And don't ask for a screwdriver thinking you'll get a cocktail, all you get is strange looks LOL!

1. Fizzy drink sounds nicer than soda. Those Brits!

7. Well where I come from, the Great White North, we call it pop. Not 'pap' but P-auh-p. When I was 17 I moved to CA where I had a choice. Be ridiculed by calling it Pop or become less obvious to strangers and call it soda. So, today, depending on my company I will call it either or. My daughter calls it pop though. I am raising her right! LOL JK

1. I don't think I heard anyone call it pop until I went to college when
      one of my volleyball teammates from Oregon stood out from the
      California crowd, calling it pop. Did your daughter get “pop” from
      you? Or do you live in a strange California town? :)

8. ralphcarlson says:

You know this is very interesting. What do we call it in California? Soft drink comes to mind. We called it pop in Missouri when I was growing up but my Dad from Kansas called it sodie. My experience in other parts of the country was limited to college and the army where my principle focus was beer so I really can't speak for Illinois, Connecticut and Hawaii and in California during my mature years it was much more important to find a good Chardonnay or Zinfandel so I don't know what native Californians may call it besides 'poison'.

9. Bleckpatrickalex says:

I call it soda. my mil calls it tonic. and my midwestern pals call it pop. when I was a kid it was just coke. all soda was coke. then ma asked what kind and i'd say orange or sprite. weirdo! as a cali girl i can atest that I love my soda…diet coke is the nectar of the gods, and i guess the devil at the same time.

1. I heard that, Bleckpatrickalex. I love my Diet Coke too. Even for breakfast!

10. When I lived in Ohio we called it pop. Then I moved to New York and we called is sooodah. Now I live in LA and you're right, we call it poison. But we call vodka Martinis :-)
    Cheers,
    jj

11. AshAtShades says:

Like I mentioned on FB, grew up in Atlanta, where, as you know, it's Coke or nothing. Please, do not call it “Coca-Cola,” – someone will probably give you a “bless your heart,” and that isn't good.

Now a resident of Texas, and it's also “Coke,” (which is odd, since PepsiCo calls this area of North Texas home) though for most of my local friends, Dr. Pepper is the teeth-rotter of choice.

(I hear you with the WordPress issues. Makes me want to run back to Blogger with flowers and chocolates.)

12. Cheri Pryor says:

I don't say either of those things. I call it Pepsi. Diet specifically. And I order it that way. “Diet Pepsi”. If they have Coke then I just say, “That's fine.”

I'm from California. Apparently I've been adopted in to this state despite being born here and living my entire life here (minus one horrible, misplaced year in El Paso, TX). Why? Because I look nothing like you've described.

13. Mike S says:

Lisa T already got most of the stuff us Old Geezers say here, except for those who have been polluted by Canada-speak & call it 'tonic' and 'semi's' are 'transports'.

1. semi's? transports? You mean…trucks? We call 'em trucks.

14. All I know is DIET COKE and don't try and slip me a Pepsi. I'm in Alameda (which is in Cali as you know) and we used to call it “pop” when I was a kid and Hector was a pup. Now I must go work on my tan and throw up some dinner! Ciao, Dude!

1. You and me on the Diet Coke train, sister!

15. Becky Sturm says:

I call it soda, though I live in MN and was born here and EVERYONE from MN says Pop. Weird. I think I just wanted to be different.

1. I like what redheadranting said about how MinneSODA calls it “pop”.
      And viva la difference!

16. Katherine says:

I had to think about it for a minute! We don't say Pop although I like that much better than Soda. I would say it is Soda over here in Virginia… although sometimes it is, “Do you want a coke”…

17. annet says:

Here on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, in Victoria ( the most west point of Canada) we have called it Pop forever! When someone dares say soda, we all freeze and look at the person like they were an alien or something lol

pop pop pop ;-)

1. OK, that's one more for the “pop” column. AND we get an awesome trivia nugget thrown in!

18. Sue says:

Here in the Philly burbs, while toddlers are drinking beer at the Phillies game, if we're not drinking wooder with our hoagies we'll have a soda. We put them in a bag, not a sack, so we can take them downashore for lunch. In these parts we have to go downashore before we can go to the beach because we don't all live at the beach like youse guys.

1. Isn't Philly in the middle of the country somewhere, like, way far away from the beach? Wouldn't going downashore take all day, so you'd have to eat lunch on the way, right?

1. stellatuki says:

Margaret, you kooky girl… i'm snorting out laughing here. i can imagine your expression as you made that reply above. i'm reading all your entries i have missed and i find this thread of comments educational… we're 'soft drink' coca-cola people where i came from, and sarsaparilla was called sarsi and was mixed with 1 raw egg. people swore it tasted great and was healthy for you. i thought it was nasty, like adding phlegm with yer drink.

1. Ewwww!! Isn't sarsaparilla supposed to be like root beer? I can't imagine liking phlegm with my root beer. Blech.

In any event, I'm glad you're snorting and I'm flattered you're reading this stuff.

19. Drew says:

It's all “mixer”. No matter what you call it, it was meant to be mixed with booze. If you drink it straight, it is poison.

20. HisFishHawk says:

Well, in all fairness, I have been to many a place (household and otherwise) down south where one would ask for a Coke or nothing at all, but that was because a Coke was the only soft drink available. Down in Texas, one had the option of also getting a Dr. Pepper, of course.

1. Why? Was Sprite too sissy?

21. Categorical term here in St. Louis is “soda” – but you have to be specific on which kind you want after that. Hmm, Wild Bear Pee – is that your nickname for Mountain Dew? I always said it was a bunch of hillbillies sitting on a mountain peeing (ok I use another term) in a can. LOL

1. I hadn't thought of it, but now that you've sullied my Wild Bear Pee with something that actually sounds gross, I will never be able to get that out of my head. :)

22. britt says:

-Soda.
    -Subs.
    -Jimmies, (although both the chocolate and the rainbow are called jimmies, you just have to specify when you order.)

Now I feel the need to go get take out for some reason.

1. Mmm, can you pick me up some too? I'll come over and we'll feast on our multi-named buffet.

23. amybrewer says:

Here is southeastern Ohio, we say pop .We love our ski pop and pepsi cola pop. I have seen where most people around the internet call it soda. I have always and will always (because everyone around here does it anyway) call it pop.

1. I've never heard of ski pop. And I think you should stick to your guns and keep saying pop – even in the face of evil!

24. Cheryl says:

Oh forgot that we call them subs, too.

25. Cheryl says:

I am an Okie and we call it POP.

1. OkiePOP sounds like a great name for rock band.

26. Lori Lindsay says:

I'm in the northeast corner of Ohio and we call it pop.

1. I wonder what a color-coded map would look like showing what parts of the country (and I say country because nobody from outside the US has spoken up yet) call their beverages.

27. It's soda. Only people from Rochester call it pop.

1. You say that like people from Rochester should be ashamed of themselves.
      :) Also? I keep hearing Jack Benny in my head now.

1. Heather says:

HEY NOW! I'm from Rochester and I am a definitive SODA sayer. As is my native Rochesterian husband and we're raising our native Rochesterian daughter to be a soda sayer as well.

Just because we're from the homeland of Wegmans and their WPOP doesn't mean we have to say pop!!!

28. Diane M says:

Soda?! Pop?! Really! Haven't you been branded? I'm very brand specific when I drink “soda”. But alcohol is another matter—if you offer me a vodka tonic, screwdriver, you name it— I'll take it and never ask “what kind of vodka?!” Just sayin.

P.S. I'm a blonde, skinny dude and I haven't seen David in ages.

1. You probably haven't seen David in ages because he's been slumped behind the couch in a drunken stupor since 1987.

29. JC says:

I grew up calling it Soda Pop. I'm aging myself here but we had orange and cream soda flavors. Now, it's just pepsi or cola brands. Now, I call it by the title. Like Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper. Again, all for my teenage son. And, I knew you Ca people were blond and friends with Pam. Only did you see her dance and David .. well, we won't even get started on him. LOL

1. I did not see Pam dance – although I saw a couple of clips here and there and I saw her on some talk show after they lost. That woman astounds me. I can't decide if I like her or not. And poor David, what will we do with him?

And orange and cream soda still exists, I think. You just don't see people drinking it anymore. And that's just sad.

30. Will there be a How To page on turning hyperlinks into earrings? I hope so.

We here in the land of Chicago mostly call it pop. Imagine my horror when I first heard my relatives from southern Illinois call it “sody pop.” I immediately disowned them. As if. Anyway, a typical Chicago hostess question goes like this: “Do you want something to drink? Iced tea? Beer? Pop? We have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite . . .” That way there's no confusion over serving someone Wild Bear Pee when they were hoping for a delicious chocolately Yoohoo.

1. I will put it on my ToDo list: How To turn hyperlinks into earrings.
      Your way of inquiring about beverages might lead someone's head to explode – so many questions all at once like that. Might it not overwhelm them?

31. joaniemack says:

Here in the Philly area of Pennsylvania, we call it soda. Pop is your dad or your grandfather.

We have hoagies, never subs. Grinders are hoagies that are put in the broiler and heated so the cheese melts.

And cheesesteaks do NOT come with tomato sauce! YUCK!!

I remember dungarees! Now they're called jeans!

1. Mmmmm, melted cheese. Now I want a hoagie. Although I've never made reference to a “hoagie” in my life. Do all you Philly people know each other? I see several here on this thread.

32. t.j. says:

So that was what happened… I have you in my side bar and noticed it wasn't updating your post. Thought it strange, so I clicked over and Wowzers! I was a few posts behind on some of your clever, ingenious, perfect abs, gorgeous hair, Hasselhoff style of writing :(!!!! Thought it was me, so I unsubscribed (sorry) and the resubscribed (yippee0 and it resolved the problem.

Glad we are all back together and holding hands in bloggyland :)

PS: I'm a label the soda kind of gal too. Example? I say “Coke” and don't even mention the “P” cola word. It's a curse word, you know (bleah!).

1. No P-Cola? What are you, from Atlanta?

And I can't tell you how relieved I am to get my subscribers back. I was pulling my hair out. And I'm glad we are holding hands once again too!

33. A Free Man says:

Down South we called it Coke. Regardless of whether it was Coke, Pepsi, RC, Sprite, 7-up, or Wild Bear Pee, it was Coke. South Georgia and North Florida are Coca-Cola country.

1. A Free Man – I know! When I was in Atlanta once, (actually working on a project that took me to Coca Cola HQ) you couldn't find a Pepsi anywhere to save your life. I wonder if that's what turned me from a Pepsi person to a Coke person…

34. HisFishHawk says:

POP!!! (Just like any self-respecting southerner would.)

1. So, are you saying no self-respecting southerner would call it Coke? Well I could see some civil strife brewing over this one amongst the southerners. The “Pop-Hatfields” and the “Coke McCoys”

I was also always specific. I'd like a “Coke” or a “Root Beer” or a whatever-the-hell… Because you're right. If you just said you wanted a soda, the next question was always what kind so why not just cut to the chase. If I were going to use one word of the other, I'm sure I've muttered “soda” a couple of times in my life, but never “pop” and certainly never “soda pop,” because that just has “get away from me, loser” written all over it.

1. I know, if you're going to say “soda pop” you might as well go all the way and say “sodee pop”!

36. Janiss says:

I'm a Southern California native and as a kid, I called it “Coke,” if it was remotely Coke-like (i.e., Pepsi, generic brown fizzy stuff, etc.), and 7-Up for everything that was clear, sweet and fizzy. Maybe we're just into brand names down here. After I was an adult (and anti-corporate), I began to refer to it all as “soda,” until the Midwestern editor at one of the mags I wrote for pointed out that to him, it was “pop.” Eventually I realized I didn't drink the stuff anyway (true to my California roots) and just stopped referring to it altogether.

BTW, I have black hair and talk in multi-syllables, so everyone here mistakes me for a New Yorker. Which I like.

1. Oh, I used to hate it when someone offered me a “coke” and it turned out be a Shasta Cola or something equally nasty. Blech!! And I wouldn't mind being mistaken for a New Yorker now and again, either.

37. People in NJ say both depending on where you live. South Jersey people call it POP and they also use the term Tennis Shoes with “dungarees”! In Central and Northern New Jersey we call it SODA and we use the term SNEAKERS with JEANS!

1. Well then I'm all mixed up because I say tennis shoes with jeans. Whatever happened to good ol' standards?

38. Ron says:

Oh dear god, woman….you make me LAUGH!!!!

“In fact, when this blog dies, I’m going to recycle it and make shoes out of the individual posts and earrings out of the hyperlinks.”

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA….that was flawless!

Well…I call it soda, however I don't drink anything carbonated because it makes me BURP out of my nose. YES…my nose! LOVELY, isn't it?

Oh, and I'm from Philly, where we call water – WOODER.

Fab post, dear lady!

X

1. Wooder? Really? Did you also call it Filthadelphia? Several people on this comment thread seem to be from Philly. Or have lived there at some point.

Also? Burping out your nose sounds divine. It also sounds like it might hurt.

1. Heather says:

That only happens to me with Sunkist (the burping-out-the-nose thing, I mean) and it does hurt.

As kids, my sister and I dubbed Sunkist “Burpkist” because of how burptastic it made us (which back then was a good thing). I know, we were such wits in our youth… makes you wonder why we were never invited to the Algonquin, 'specially given our relative proximity to the City. ('Cause, you know, *everyone* knows “the City” is New York.)

39. gayle says:

Lived in CA for 13 years…….can't remember what we called it………probably “milk or Kool Aid”
    Live in NC the rest of the time and I just say to you want a “drink” and then they say yes and I say “we have diet coke, regular coke, mt dew etc.

1. Well I can see why you'd want to ask if they even want something to drink first before you start rattling off a long list of your beverage inventory.

40. Rebecca says:

Pop, definitely pop!

41. dognutmom says:

Called it pop or a soft drink growing up in Toronto. Moved to outside of Philadelphia and now we call it soda. That took a while to get used to. We will be moving to Buffalo at some point, so guess we will be going back to pop. Me, I prefer a Coke to be an actual Coke when I do indulge in a soft drive/pop/soda … but I usually have water. Or coffee.

What I will miss when we move, is having a water ice. Our relatives back in Canada didn't know what that was when we first moved here … my niece kept asking for an “ice water” and then didn't want the glass of water with iced cubes in it ;-)

1. dognutmom – What is a water ice? Is it like an egg cream, so there would be no water or ice in it?

42. We say pop here in Minnesota (pronounced Minnesoda, go figure). We know what soda is, that's what you but in your cocktails. And we are all blond and thin and too… well, some of us anyway.

1. Pop in Minnesoda…yes…it's all beginning to make sense now. It's no wonder you're all skinny and blonde. You people are backwards about everything.

43. shar says:

Washington State native here. I grew up calling it 'pop'. Occasionally heard it called 'soda pop' when I was a kid, but never called it that myself. Now I usually will forego the pop or soda reference as go for specifics – “want a root beer?” , for example. Saves the extra step of asking what kind if there is more than one flavor in the fridge.

P.S. Thanks bunches for the birthday wishes, Margaret. :)

1. You're right, Shar. In today's society where everyone is GO GO GO, you want expediency. Even when relaxing with a soda pop. Although Tracy claims in Tennessee, they still like to stop and talk about it for a while first. Crazy southerners.

(and I hope you got lots of cake and presents for your birthday)

We call them soft drinks. I always thought it was because of the French influence here in Montreal – “Liqueur douce” translates into soft drink. I figured it was the French way to differentiate between their “hard” drinks and the stuff English people drink.

1. I think soft drinks was indeed supposed to delineate them from “hard” alcohol drinks. I mean, there's no such thing as soft alcohol, right? I mean, except strawberry daiquiris.

45. Here in Canada we call it pop, eh? We also wear mukluks and live in igloos. When offering pop to company (and it must be a special occasion, because we rarely buy pop), I would say, “Would you like a rootbeer or a Coke?” or “We have Pepsi and cream soda”, because pop is too generic a term. Now that I've said pop so many times, it sounds really bizarre. But then so does soda.

1. soda soda soda soda…you're right. Not only does it not sound like a word any more, I'm getting visions of John Belushi and Animal House and Toga Parties – I wonder why that is.

46. JunkDrawer says:

OMG. I just read through all your comments and I'm crying. So funny (and educational).

I'm from soda land, eastern PA. Also the home of scrapple and other Dutchy delicacies like hogmaw and shoofly pie. Yum!

1. OK, first of all, hogmaw and shoofly pie is awesome because I've never heard of them before. And second, I've heard of scrapple, but completely forgot what it is. Is it a dessert? And thirdly, my soda land says hi to your soda land.

1. JunkDrawer says:

Hogmaw is pig's stomach, stuffed with potatoes and sausage. I've not had it, only heard of it. The shoofly pie is delicious and my mom makes it the BEST! It's basically a molasses and sugar pie with sweet crumbs on top. And scrapple is a mess of pork parts that are normally thrown away, but someone got it into their head to put it all together into a brick, slice it up and fry it in butter (sometimes deep-fried). Don't you want some now? With a Coke?

1. AshAtShades says:

My parents are Philly born and bred as well – Scrapple is adored. One with ketchup, one with syrup. I don't get it; however, if I had a last meal request, it would include a Taylor porkroll sandwich followed by a Tasty Kake butterscotch krimpet and a massive helping of shoofly pie.

You can take the little girl out of Philly…

1. JunkDrawer says:

I loves me muh Krimpets! My dad does too. He was upset to find that recently they took all the trans fats out of them and, to him, they don't taste right. He lost his mind and called the company. I think all they did to appease him was send him some coupons.

47. Pseudo says:

rots… roots, typo or Freudian slip?

1. If rots is a Freudian slip, I either have no idea how that would be or I'm totally grossed out by it.

By the way, I typed “rote” accidentally the first time. Was that a Freudian slip too?

48. Pseudo says:

Called it soda since I moved here, not sure what I called it as a young one in Cali. But I do call most people dude, now I know where I got it from. Oh yeah. And I body board. My Cali rots run deeper than I thought.

BTW Nanny, I'm coming to Sacremento for a conference in July with my new principal.

1. OK, I am doing the happy dance right now because you are coming to Sacramento and we HAVE to meetup if at all possible. Email me with the deets when you get them and we can totally make a date, dude.

49. Sarah says:

LOL…Well…before I live in Sunny Southern Cali…for highschool and college..I lived in Tennessee..where we called it Pop…so I call it the same today still…POP. I am also annoyed when someone says..please get me a coke when they mean a Dr. Pepper…just say what cha want please!!I now live in N. Idaho and they call it soda here…so confusing!!
    Happy Monday hon, Sarah

1. You know what? Anybody who asks for a coke and gets upset when they are brought a coke can try asking for something else next time. If you order a coke and want a Dr. Pepper, then run down that waitress if she walks away having not asked you what “kind” of coke you want.

50. Mammatalk says:

It's sody-pop over here. My grandaddy's from Mississippi. Ya just can't breed those kind of genes out of you. Thank goodness!

1. Sody-pop! Of course! You're the first one to mention that! Congratulations.

51. Jamie says:

I'm Canadian – I call it Pop… Although I like the word soda – maybe I should switch!

1. Don't deny your roots, girl! Stick with Pop. I mean, unless you want to be normal, like the rest of us who say soda. (I'm probably outnumbered and shouldn't have said that, actually)

52. I love how “green” you are with all your recycling efforts (or thoughts thereof). Now, I'm off to have some pop!

1. Why thank you, Mighty M. It's just a matter of deciding whether to put it all on eBay or Etsy.

53. Dude, I didn't even realize the whole dude thing until I was able to actually click over to read.

I do not dude you because you are from California.

To me, as I am of a spiritual bent, dude means “The Ted in me embraces the Bill in you”

Also, it's called coke. All of it. You just have to specify what kind of coke you want.

1. Oh yeah, and before you ask why you don't specify what kind of coke you want at the beginning, hello? It's about the conversation.
      I mean, maybe in other places of the world people expect their guests and patrons to behave with meticulous efficiency, but you know, we like to enjoy life here in Tennessee. But your way is okay, too, I guess.

1. You're right, how misanthropic of me. They say people from the south talk slow, so I don't know if I could survive taking 60 seconds to ask a question, let alone taking another 60 seconds for each layer of conversation making for a total of 15 minutes and dying of thirst before you get something to drink for chrissakes.

And you get 10 extra points for calling me dude without even knowing it was part of the content today.

54. Nance says:

Neither pop nor soda, but by specific name. When at a restaurant where I'm not sure what they serve, I'll request a diet cola. Otherwise, I'm with you.

1. I'm with you, and because I'm so all about the short cuts, I say “diet whatever” to indicate that I don't care if it's coke or pepsi so they don't even have to say, “Is [our brand of cola] okay?”

55. Grace says:

I'm from New York City and we always called it soda unless you wanted an Egg Cream, which doesn't really have any eggs, or cream, in it. Currently I live in Filthadelphia and I don't know what they call it here.

1. What on earth is an egg cream? Is it like cream soda? I mean, cream coke? I mean, cream pop?

1. Grace says:

You can read all about it HERE. It's a New York thing…often imitated, never duplicated.

1. Grace says:

You know what – I just read that entry and the “recipe” they give for an egg cream is all wrong! Milk, then chocolate syrup. Add seltzer, run it in over the back of the spoon, stir, Enjoy!

And I heard “Fiflthadelphia” from my brother who lives in Florida who heard it from someone who USED to live here. I really call it Hazmat City.

1. Ohhh, I'm going to New York in August. Should I be making a plan to go to some particular place for the perfect egg cream?

2. Oh! And Filthadelphia? I've never heard that one before!!!

56. Heather says:

As I said over on ye olde Book of Face, I grew up calling it soda (I'm a Jersey Girl) and although I now live in a corner of western, upstate NY where they say pop, I refuse to do so. Furthermore, I'm teaching my kid, who is a western, upstate NY native, that the word is soda, not pop. My hubby, also a western, upstate NY native, likewise says soda despite growing up in Poptown, because he went to college in a more reasonable part of upstate NY (central, upstate) where soda prevailed and he quickly learned the error of his ways.

So, we're soda holdouts in the world of pop. Even the largest grocery store chain in our area (holla, Wegmans!) calls their generic line of soda WPOP. It's an uphill battle, but one I am sworn to fight.

And, for the record, my child believes that soda is like beer, wine or mudslides – a beverage for grown-ups only. She has never, in her 7 years and 11 days on this Earth, drunk a soda. I'm not even Californian, but hey, I'm not gonna poison the next generation.

Oh and BTW, I haven't been ignoring you – you vanished from my Reader and just reappeared last night. WOOHOO!

1. Viva la soda!

No, I finally figured out how to get all my subscribers back after switching to Word Press, so I'm happy to see familiar faces again!

57. Momma Drama says:

I'm with Sarah – it's coke in the south. EVERYTHING is coke… I hate it when people say, we only serve Pepsi – SAME FREAKIN THING! :) Oh and we LOVE our sweet tea too… had a friend that moved out to Cali and said no one had ever heard of sweet tea, what? who? huh?? it's a shame…

1. It's true. We've never heard of sweet tea. We say iced tea. Especially since some of us don't sweeten it. If you want it sweet you add your own sugar, pal.

And try telling any die hard Coke or Pepsi lover that they are the same thing. They will deny it to their grave.

1. Sarah says:

Ack! You canNOT add sugar after tea has been iced. It's blasphemy! :D

Okay, so maybe it's not that bad. But you should still confess…

Margaret, just a word of advice. If you ever come to coastal Georgia you will have to specify UNsweet. Otherwise you're gettin' it sweet, honey-child.

58. Melissa says:

Born in Ohio, grew up in Florida. It was either “soda” or “soft drink”. Dude, now I live in Palm Springs, California, have French pedicures, and call soda “my shameful secret that lives at the back of the fridge so my tofu-eating friends don't see it.”

1. Amen, sister. And thanks for calling me dude. :)

59. I'm not sure where I was, maybe Michigan? But I had to ask people next to me what the waiter meant by “pop.” I call it “Coke.”

1. Yeah, turns out you “coke” people are all over the place. I wonder what they call it in England.

60. Surfie says:

I prefer to call it by it's specific name (Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Ginger Ale, etc.) but if I have a need to be generic, I just call it soda. I'm a born and bred South Carolina girl. My husband lived in Nebraska for a few of his high school years, and apparently there they called it all Coke. When his family transferred to SC (military), he'd go to McDonald's or somewhere and at the drive thru he'd order whatever to eat “and a Coke” and then wonder why they only ever gave him a Coke and didn't ask which kind he wanted. Thankfully he has been broken of that stupidness.

1. Yeah, that whole “coke” thing doesn't make any sense to me. Now Kleenex, I can understand. If I asked some for a Kleenex, I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if someone handed me an off-brand tissue.

61. Lana says:

In Canada we call it pop. When I was 9 we went to Disneyland. At a restaraunt I told the waiter I wanted a Coke. He said “What kind”? I was like “uhhh… Coke”. He says “Yes. but what kind of Coke?” My parents were just as confused. Finally I said, “Coke. The dark pop”. He brought me root beer. My parents asked what his issue was and he said he didn't have the issue. WE had the issue for not knowing how to order Coke. WHAT?!?! Now my best friend lives in Washington State and I make fun of her when she says “soda” . :)

1. So what should you have said to actually get a “Coke”? Sounds like the waiter wasn't from California. Maybe “Coca Cola” would have worked? I can't imagine Disneyland didn't serve Coke or Pepsi specifically. What an ass.

62. Julie says:

I grew up in San Diego where my parents of Buffalo, NY descent called it Pop so I did too until kids started looking at me strange. Then I switched to “soft drinks” which I stuck with until I moved to Buffalo. Now I'm being sucked back in to calling it Pop. I'm fighting it though. lol.

1. The only time I say anything generic, I say “soda”, and it's when I'm ordering at a restaurant that has self-serve fountain drinks and I haven't actually made up my mind yet what I want and it doesn't matter cuz the cashier doesn't really need to know.

63. Tahtimbo says:

Here in Eye-Dee-Ho, they call it pop, but where I was born and raised, in the uber-sophisticated California, we called it soda. Although, I have to admit that when I wanted a “soda” I always asked for a Pepsi or Coke or Root Beer. Oh, I'll pass on the Wild Bear Pee, although it might taste better than the Diet Chocolate Coke.

1. Well, with the Coke/Pepsi wars, you HAD to say which one you wanted. Even now, if you order a “Coke”, they will invariably say, “Is Pepsi okay?” if they don't actually serve coke. Although, good luck getting a Pepsi in Atlanta. I don't think it's exists there and you'd probably get arrested if you tried to sell it there.

1. shar says:

Oh yeah, the pepsi/coke thing. I will not drink coke. That is some nasty crap. It tastes like a pepsi that has been left opened sitting out all night and all the good fizzy stuff is gone. GROSS! So if I order pepsi and get the “is coke ok” question, my answer is, “no thanks, I'll have water.” Am I a snob? No need to answer cuz I don't care if I am or not when it comes to the pepsi/coke thing. LOL

64. This is complex. In my family, people call it “soft drink.” Except for me. I call it pop, which for some reason I picked up in college and never quit using. Locally, a lot of people call all soda / soft drink / pop “Coke.” So they'd come through the drive through at the ice cream place where I worked in high school and order a Coke, but then when you gave them a cup of Coke they'd say, “I wanted Sprite!” So we learned to say, “Diet or regular?” so that if they actually meant root beer or Sprite instead of Coca Cola they'd say so.

Also, I grew up in the Midwest, almost Upper South really, and I call everyone dude. Dude. But I'm not skinny, tan, or blonde.

1. The drive thru! I worked at one of those too, so maybe that's where I got my need for specificity. Although, I have to say, my customers always told me exactly what they wanted, so maybe I became spoiled and that just set my expectations of the rest of the world so high.

And thank you for calling me dude. I too, am not skinny, tan or blond.

65. In Canada we call it pop. And I have to say I think it's the only correct term for the fizzy drink.

I lost almost all of my readers when I switched to WordPress too. I think all those articles about how to switch over without losing readers is bunk.

1. Well, Marilyn, I'm going to write up a little post about how I got my subscribers and tell the whole world about it because I can't believe everybody willingly loses their subscribers. It was the biggest deterrent from me switching for so long. And then it was true and then I finally found a way to prevent that from happening. And now maybe I can start singing the praises of WordPress, except that I'm still having theme/plug-in compatability issues. {SIGH!}

I learned that when I moved from NJ to Montana I had to learn a whole new language. Something happens when you cross the Mississippi.

Soda-pop
    jimmies-sprinkles
    hoagie-grinder-sub
    taffy-lollipop

and there are so many more.

*sigh*

1. What. the heck. is a jimmies-sprinkles? and a taffy-lollipop?

jimmies – the little things you put on an ice cream cone

taffy – maybe you call it a sucker

1. Oh wait, I see now. I thought you were saying that you call them “jimmies-sprinkles” and “taffy-lollipops”, rather than they are separate words/ synonyms. Now I get it. DUH!!

1. Heather says:

Oh yes indeed – I grew up in Jersey where we called sprinkles jimmies. Then I moved out of state for college and was strongly chastised for asking for jimmies and have never used the word since. Apparently it isn't PC. *shrug*

Also, saltwater taffy is a summertime treat when one goes *down* the shore. At least if it is the Jersey shore we're talking about. :-D

1. OK, if jimmies isn't PC, someone better explain who it offends so I know not to use it.

Also, any reference to “taffy” whether “saltwater” precedes it or not is all the same thing. That chewy pastel colored candy in the white waxed paper wrapping.

1. Heather says:

Snopes says it well here: http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/jimmies.asp

I was scolded for it someplace where “sprinkles” were the commonly used term, and as I said I was looked at askance by the store employee and then lectured by one of my companions about how it is racist. What happened to me that day that I was shamed into never daring utter “jimmies” again is strikingly similar to the examples given in the Snopes entry. I guess I'm glad I”m not the only one to whom that has happened!

I'm so used to saying sprinkles now that I don't even think twice about it. I wouldn't glare at someone for saying jimmies though. I might, were I an ice cream shop employee, ask if they wanted chocolate jimmies or rainbow jimmies though…..

1. AshAtShades says:

Proof that you can take any word and make it offensive. I've always heard “jimmies” (both parents from PA) – and that meant any color, not just the brown. My boys call them “jimmies” as well (their Grandad's name, from IN. is Jim, and they think it's cute), but will institute transition to “sprinkles” post haste!

I'm with you Heather on “grinders” too – sounds like the afternoon special at the local strip club, not a sandwich. The correct term is hoagie ;-)

My mother is part of the dungaree club as well – as in “I've never worn a pair of dungarees, and I never will.”

2. Surfie says:

But taffy is completely different than a lollipop! What do they call real taffy??

I grew up in Philadelphia and hard candy on a stick was a taffy.

Salt water taffy was a summertime treat when we went to the shore.

1. Yeah, taffy to me means chewy candy. Hard candy is hard candy, unless it's on a stick, then it's called a lollypop or a sucker. (although I haven't heard the term sucker since childhood) And I saw somebody here call your hometown Filthadelphia, which I've never heard before. Have you?

Yes, Filthydelphia is common – usually from before it cleaned itself up.

From what I remember the davenport is the sofa with the plastic covering on it.
                heh

2. Barb says:

Ah, like those in Georgia and Texas, we here in Alabama (and also in Arkansas, where I was raised) call every carbonated soft drink a COKE. “Want a coke?”…”Sure, what kind ya got?”…”We got Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Pepsi and Sam's Choice.” LOL (Had to get that WalMart plug in there, ya see. Tee Hee.
      Peace & Love,
      ~Barb~

67. junebug1990 says:

I say pop except mostly I just say no. Don't drink the stuff myself. However, neither pop or soda bothers what bothers me is that in Georgia it is all called Coke like Sarah said while I was typing this. What kind of coke do you want could be pepsi or sprite or diet coke. That is definitely not specific enough. If I drank the stuff it would totally annoy me. :-)

1. Yeah, because if someone asked me if I wanted a coke, I'd be all, “do you have diet?” and they'd say yes and pour me a glass and then I'd glug it down and spew it across the room because they gave me a Dr. Pepper and I wasn't expecting that.

68. joannmannix says:

Hi Nanny Goat,

I'm back from my week away. I'm making my rounds.

I too call it poison because I believe soda comes right from the devil's personal pantry.

Having said that, I grew up in the Midwest and called it pop. Then I moved to the South and here we call it soda, y'all and we drank it when we're driving with our toddlers on our laps and walking barefoot into the public restrooms. Cause we're all jist like Britney.

1. I love that you referred to the “devil's personal pantry”. I'll bet it's a closet full of gastronomic awesome.

And welcome back from your week away.

69. Sarah says:

Here in Georgia (the southern part of the state), it's not soda OR pop.

It's coke.

Coke could mean: Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, Dr. Pepper or any manner of carbonated beverage.

1. I heard that happened in Texas – that “coke” thing. Good to know it's also in Georgia.

2. Surfie says:

Hey, that's just like in Nebraska where my husband spent some of his high school years! I guess it's not as weird as I thought.

3. britt says:

i bet that really pisses pepsi off. hehe

70. Lisa T. says:

Only old people call it pop in Maine. We, I mean THEY, also say dungarees for jeans; soda crackers for saltines and oleo is margarine. We also don't have subs, we have Italians, which makes going to Subway weird–unless you also get a pop while wearing dungarees and ask for a side of oleo…

1. Wow! We don't even say subs. Everything is a sandwich. And when I say we, I don't even know who I'm talking about. Perhaps I should just speak for myself. I call everything a sandwich. Even at subway. Which kind of goes against what I said about being specific, now that I think of it.

1. Heather says:

I grew up calling subs hoagies (NJ), then went to college in a sub part of the country (central, upstate NY), then as a newlywed lived in New England where they were grinders. Now I'm back to sub country. Sub I can deal with. Grinder, not so much.

My dad still says dungarees, and he's not a Mainer. We always blamed that on his having been in the Navy. Oh, and my mother (also a native New Jerseyan) calls a bathrobe a “housecoat” and my grandmother (Mom's mom) called the sofa a “davenport” ………….

1. OMG yes! A davenport!

And while I've heard the term “dungarees”, I never knew what they were. Until today. So I thank everyone who referenced them here today.

1. Heather says:

To this day, 18 years after he first met my dad, my husband still does a “Heather's Dad impression” in which the words dungarees, skivvies and sharp are used. All words, by the way, that Dad uses straightforwardly without any irony at all. As in “How fancy is this place we're going to for dinner tonight? Can I get away with dungarees or do I need pants?” or “Hey, did you do the laundry? I'm down to my last pair of skivvies.” or “Wow, did you see that picture of the eagle? That was really sharp!”

I'm presently trying to get my kid to use words no other first grader would use. I've got her saying “caddywampus” and “ragamuffin” pretty regularly, as well as talking about not “squandering” her opportunities. :-D

2. Surfie says:

We use the word subs here. An Italian is a specific kind of sub to me!